Tuesday 26 May 2009

Bank Holiday Weekend

What a great 3-day weekend our little family had! Saturday was a gorgeous warm day here so we finally got around to putting together Mark's new barbecue and had his brother, my sister in law Rachel and Max and Holly over for our first barbecue. I know it doesn't sound THAT exciting but it is so great to finally have a back yard (with grass!) where we can do these sort of things after living in the concrete jungle that is London for the previous two summers that I've been here in the U.K. I'm also pretty excited about the new barbecue as it takes a little pressure off of me from having to make dinner every night. So far I've managed to cook about twice a week, supplementing our dinners with pre-made meals from this place called Cook that makes chef prepared meals for two that can be put in the freezer and cooked in either the oven or microwave. They are a God-send!

On Sunday we took Calum up to London for the first time to meet our friends Rachel and John and their 18-month old son Oliver who is the cutest little boy ever. Calum got to take the train for the very first time and we had the nicest lunch on the Thames and I even treated myself to not one but TWO glasses of wine! The train ride back wasn't so great though-it was super warm and we were on the train with loads of football fans who had just left a match so it was super crammed and hot which had me worrying a little about the baby. All was fine though and for the first time since we had Calum I felt like I was living the life I had pre-baby. Don't get me wrong, being a Mom is amazing but it was so nice to chat with friends about something other then the baby (although we did talk a lot about babies, too!) and to get further then a 5-mile radius from our house.

Monday we headed back up to London to visit Mark's Dad's grave with Calum and go to one of our favourite restaurants. It was such a treat to spend the day together as a family and to have Mark for an extra day this weekend, I only wish every weekend was a 3-day weekend. Hope you all had a great Memorial Day x

Mark with the pram in front of the Thames

Calum asleep on the train-his first ever train ride!

Sleeping after the barbecue

Having a little nap in our bed

5 comments:

The Haigh's said...

I sure wish I could give that little kiddo a big kiss, I can't believe I have to wait until Fall to do so. Sounds like you had a nice weekend, glad the BBQ was fun. Two glasses of wine!!?? Good for you!

Leah said...

The weekend sounds lovely. I'm so glad you are able to have people over and entertain in your backyard. There's nothing quite like sitting in the nice weather and enjoying some downtime!

thuriks said...

Look at him growing like crazy! It was so nice to catch up last week. Glad your weekend was good & that our outings went smoothly. I want to squeeze him he is so cute. He has such beautiful tan skin. Love You!

Tara Holmes said...

I can't believe you have a baby!!! Still! He is so cute. I am sorry I've been hard to get ahold of...I feel like life has to slow down here pretty soon right??? I am so happy you got to have Mark for 3 days and every weekend SHOULD be a 3 day weekend, it would keep us sane. I miss you......

Keri said...

Sounds like a great weekend - and well deserved. Something about being outside in the sunshine just makes you so happy! And to have such a beautiful family to share it with!! Can't wait to give that little guy kisses - he's so beautiful!