Tuesday 2 June 2009

Freedom!

The past few days have been ones of new found freedom for me and when I say new found I mean as free as you can be when you have a 5 week old baby.......

On Saturday I got to have some me time and went to get my hair done since I hadn't had it done since pre-Calum. What a treat to have 3 hours to myself to read the gossip mags! I even told my hair girl I probably wouldn't be too chatty as I was going to cherish it all to myself! Saturday night Mark and I went on our first real date since Calum was born. Mark's Mum has been encouraging us to go out and agreed to watch Calum on Saturday night so Mark and I could go to dinner and a movie. Pre-Calum we had seen lots of my picks (like He's Just Not That Into You, Marley and Me and etc.) so I owed Mark this time and VERY reluctantly agreed to see the Star Trek movie. I hate Star Trek, all of my life I've made a point not to watch a single episode but I have to say, the movie wasn't so bad! Afterwards we went out to a Thai dinner and I treated myself to a Tiger beer, it was great.

Yesterday I had an even bigger taste of freedom when I broke the rules and drove for the first time in 5 and a half weeks so I could take Calum to go get registered (here in the UK you have to register your child as a UK citizen in order to get your birth certificate and we need that certificate ASAP so we can get Calum's passport for our upcoming trips to Portugal and America). I was a little nervous to drive again (when you have a C-section they say you shouldn't drive for 6 weeks as the movements you make whilst driving can damage the internal scarring), especially with Calum in the back and sure enough he screamed and cried the whole way to our appointment! Of course he turned into a little angel afterwards when we went out shopping and he was in his Baby Bjorn which automatically puts him to sleep.

Anyway, things are so much better now that I can drive-today when I woke up I had a tiny feeling of excitement realising that I could actually get out with Calum and enjoy the 81+ degree day we're supposed to have.

As for an update on our little munchkin, he's still growing like a weed... Last Thursday when I had him weighed he was 10 lbs 15 oz so we're certain to have broken the 11 lbs mark when we go to the clinic again this Thursday. Calum has become much more aware of the things around him and has been looking very intently at people's faces, especially Mom and Dad's. While he's still not sleeping through the night, he has settled nicely into a bedtime routine which sees me only having to feed him once in the night around 3 a.m. and where he wakes at around 7 so I'm still managing to get about 7 hours of sleep a night which is fantastic. Everyday I fall in love with him a little bit more but am still sad to see how quick he's growing. Having been out with him over the past few days it's amazing how much attention babies attract-I feel like I'm out with a little rock star! Hope you enjoy his latest pics x

3 comments:

The Haigh's said...

Love the new pics - he is growing so fast. How nice that Pat babysat for you guys, was it stressful to get out just the 2 of you or did you feel relieved?

thuriks said...

Must have been so nice for you to get out by yourself. I am so happy for you that you are getting so much sleep. Sleep makes all the difference in the world. You are a lucky Mommy! Glad you & Mark got out the two of you...that is soooo important to try & do as often as you can. Enjoy the beautiful weather there! Love You.

thuriks said...

comment from Jerame....
I want to see a picture of you & your son asap. We miss your face.