Friday 19 June 2009

3 years.....



After two pain staking weeks without the Internet my lovely husband has just reconnected me to the outside world (AKA what's going on in America!) and I've finally been able to log in and post on the blog. When I looked at the calendar here in our office I realised that my 3 year anniversary is tomorrow and I have to say I'm amazed. Three years ago I left behind my amazing group of girlfriends (and their fantastic husbands) and my family to take a big chance on love and personal growth to come to live in London. Three years ago tonight my best friends and I sat around at Ashley's house drinking champagne and toasting the changes that were to come and while I have to say I'm incredibly happy that I made the move, there hasn't been a day that's gone by that I don't think about the girls I left behind in Seattle (and CA!) and my Mom and Dad.

A lot has happened in 3 years-I had the opportunity to climb the career ladder and moved into management at work, I moved in with Mark, got engaged and had the wedding of a lifetime in Italy and of course our most recent development, I had a gorgeous little baby boy. How fortunate have I been? All of this and you think that being away from home would get easier but with the latest addition to our lives I have to say that lately things have seemed a lot harder. I'm so sad that I don't get to meet my friend's babies until our trip to Seattle in October (4th-17th!!!) and even more sad that Calum's grandparents haven't been able to meet him yet and won't get to be part of his early months of life. I suppose in life we all have to make tough decisions but more and more I've been getting homesick and wondering just how much longer I want to stay here in the U.K.

On a lighter note, Calum has been my saving grace and the sunshine in my life when I've been missing home. I swear every time I look at him he looks different, he really seems to be changing a lot in appearance and day by day becoming a little person that we can actually start to interact more with. Mark said tonight he seems to be looking more like me although it's still hard to say. Yesterday we went to the baby clinic and Calum is weighing in at a very healthy 13lbs 1oz and today marks week 8 which is amazing in itself. He's smiling lots now and even giving tiny little laughs which make my heart melt.

Anyway, to all of you reading this-I love you and miss you and think about each one of you every single day and am so pleased with the changes in your lives and that even after 3 years we still all manage to keep in touch whether it's a read of the blog or a phone call here and there. Have a great weekend and a very Happy Father's Day x




7 comments:

Leah said...

Don't worry, we miss you every day, too. Tell Mark happy father's day for us!

The Haigh's said...

Calum is growing so much, he is absolutely beautiful. Has it really been 3 years? We all miss you and can't wait for the day that you tell us you are moving back, music to our ears.
Give Calum a big smooch for me...and Mark too.

Tara Holmes said...

Of course we would throw a party the minute you move closer, but you do have an amazing family unit over there too. I think of you every single day. I bet it's hard to be at home with Calum every day because you mind just starts running. My time is just starting now that school is ending and Justin will never be home at night. I miss being close to all my girlfriends and family too, but we just chose to be crazy and move away and in doing so got all wrapped up in this new life away from home. Calum is getting so handsome and I can't wait to meet him! I have to fly up to Seattle in October now and have 2 for 1 tickets to use. Maybe I'll know how to hold a baby by then. I love you!! Glad you are able to be back in touch.

thuriks said...

Jen Calum is just so cute! Jerame & I both agree he is looking more and more like you. What a little guy he is turning into. Doesn't it just seem like they get big so fast! I just want to stop time sometimes. It's hard to believe you have been gone for 3 years and all that has happened in such a short time. We all grew up didn't we? Just remember the seasons of life. London is one for you and someday when the time is right you will be home again with us! Love you so much and think of you daily as well. Hugs.

Jeanne said...

Hey sweetie! I see both you and Mark in Calum - but yes, you are coming out more and more. He's so handsome and I love his hair! Can't wait till we get to see you again...October will hopefully be here before we know it!

Keri said...

Jen, I got emotional reading your blog. How can time go by so fast? 3 years? Wow. But look all that we have to show for those 3 years -I love what Katie said "the seasons of life" - so true. And London has been a wonderful part of your life. Calum is absolutely beautiful and looking more like you every day. I really can't express how much we all miss you and can't wait to meet your little man in person. October better come fast!

Jen said...

Thanks for the sweet words, guys! Love that we've all managed to keep in touch and am just so looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months. Lots of love x