Friday 8 May 2009

Two weeks


Unbelievably Calum is two weeks old today. I'm not sure if it feels like he's been around longer or not, it just seems like two weeks has come and gone and I'm already thinking about how fast he's growing and how much I'm going to miss him being a baby someday. On Tuesday we went back to the Special Baby Care Unit where Calum had his hearing test (passed with flying colours) and another blood test to check his bilirubin levels. The result was the lowest level so far and apparently the two week mark is when jaundice starts to decline which would explain why the yellow has finally gone from his eyes and he's looking a lot healthier these days and eating like a horse.

Yesterday we had a healthcare visitor come to our house to "register" Calum. Basically this woman is a nurse in the community who will be Calum's designated nurse until he is 5 years old when he would then be assigned a nurse at school. Her name was Gina and she was fantastic, spent lots of time with us and even weighed the little guy who is now 8 lbs 11 oz. I'm really pleased about this because when we were sent to the SBCU he had lost almost 10% of his body weight so it really puts me at ease to know he's getting enough from breast feeding and on his way to being 100%. Thankfully Calum's umbilical cord also fell off yesterday-we were getting a little worried/grossed out so glad that's over with!

These past two weeks I've been riding the roller coaster of hormones which I know is to be expected but is probably compounded for me by not having my family and friends around to celebrate the arrival of Calum and to provide support. I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm worried about post natal depression, but I have had inexplicably low feelings at times which have resulted in lots of tears. Gina helped me realise part of this is because I'm not eating regularly enough and my blood sugar is all over the place so hopefully I can monitor this moving forward. Anyway, Mark wanted to cheer me up yesterday so we made our first venture out and went to a late lunch with Calum in our village. At first we were going to walk but it looked like it was going to rain so we drove and brought the full baby bag and everything which really wasn't necessary since he slept through our entire lunch! Never the less, it was nice to be out on a date with my husband and realise that we can leave the house and live life somewhat like we did before Calum arrived. Mark is trying to talk me into going to a movie and leaving Calum with his Mum this weekend but I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that... Below are some of the latest pics, have a great rest of the week x

Crashed out on his playmat

In his favourite sleep position on Dad's chest

8 comments:

The Haigh's said...

So glad your updating this regularly. Nice to hear that the 3of you ventured out for lunch. Troy and I were nervous to take Westyn to El T's the first time but she also slept the whole time. I wish so much I could be there to spend time with you and Calum but September will be here before you know it. Hang in there, we are all thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Congrats Jen! Calum is adorable and I LOVE the name! I know you probably hear this a lot, but everything does get easier. It's pretty amazing how fast you'll get the hang of it, before you know it, you'll be super mom and ready for baby #2! Isn't being a mom the best?? As hard as it is, having your own time is really important.

Natalie said...

He is so cute!! I am glad you guys are doing good. I cried a lot the first 2 weeks, I definitely had the baby blues. I think it is just your hormones trying to even out after being prego for so long. It does get easier and I would say go out with Calum as much as you can now because he will probably sleep most of the time.

thuriks said...

Jen you are such a good Mom and sound like you are getting the hang of it fast. 10 days after Chloe & Carter arrived I thought I had 100% lost it as I could not stop crying. Everyone kept telling me it's normal but nothing about me felt "normal". It passed after many tears and feelings of not knowing how I was going to make it through another day. I think C-section people are bound to get it a little worse as well because you are healing from a MAJOR surgery. Give yourself time, a break & remember that you are amazing for just creating this little life!!!! I love you and wish I could give you a big big hug.

Keri said...

It was so great talking with you today. We all think about you so much and can't wait for Sept to get here so we can see you! You are doing an amazing job with Calum. Just remember if you ever need to talk, vent, cry or share, we are all here for you. Happy Mother's Day to an amazing mum!

Tara Holmes said...

I just love how updated you are keeping us all on Calum and especially on your honest feelings. I don't know how it will be having my mom and dad away from me while raising a little boy. I"m sure hard at times. I wish I could be there to help you and to spend time with him before he grows up to be a little man. He is so handsome already!!

Leah said...

Love that picture of him and Mark! I'm glad you guys are getting out, even if just for a bit. Can't wait to keep reading your updates - makes me feel like I get a little piece of your everyday life. Hang in there, you already sound like a stellar mom.

Jen Deming Lee said...

Congratulations Jen! Calum is adorable! Best wishes to you!