Monday 14 September 2009

Occupation: Mum


Finally after many years of wearing glasses I made the jump and got contacts over the weekend. On Sunday I had my appointment at the optometrist and previous to the exam she asked a few standard questions. When she got to the occupation bit she automatically selected for me the "Mum" option as I had been telling her (and anyone who will listen these days) about Calum. Since I graduated college I've always fallen safely into the "sales" option and just hearing someone else say out loud that my job these days was as a Mum really hit me for some reason. Last night I had the chance to think about it a little more as Calum decided that sleep is for wimps and kept me up most of the night. Am I happy with being "just" a Mum?

Growing up I spent a lot of time at my grandparents and was very close to my Mom's mom, Grandma Britton. Grandma Britton was an amazing cook, always had her house in perfect order and did stacks of ironing at lighting bolt speed. Not only was she a Mom but she was a true (and great) housewife. As a child I always wondered about what she did before she had kids and I wonder someday if I don't go back to work if Calum will do the same. I want him to be proud of me, but is being a Mum (which as we all know is in fact the hardest job out there) something he can be proud of?

The hot topic of conversation amongst my Mummy friends these days is about work, are we going back, if so when and will it be part time, etc. I have to say that four and a half months in I can't imagine a job that would pay me enough to take me away from spending every possible minute with Calum. While I've felt a lot lately like time is wasting away a bit as I'm not being as productive with it as I would like, that's what the job requires at the moment and I just have to remind myself that being a Mum is a job whose description is every changing and I'm looking forward to each new day as it comes.

Have a great week x

3 comments:

Leah said...

I think being a Mum is the most wonderful job that should never be overlooked or underappreciated. I'm proud of you : )

Tara Holmes said...

I look at my calendar every day and almost get a little teary eyed as Oct. 7th quickly approaches. The days fly by and all I do is watch my little guy. He needs me so much, and of course I am the only one who does things perfectly for him (right??). How will he be able to make it through his days without me in just 3 weeks?

You are a wonderful mom, and Calum will for sure be proud of you as your are intelligent, well-spoken, beautiful, and talented. I am jealous of all my friends that can stay at home and be totally involved in this precious time in their children's lives. Work is so overrated.

Keri said...

Very thought-provoking post. I think Callum will view you as amazing no matter if you choose to go back to work or not. As long as you are happy with YOU then he will be happy. We have to find out what full-fills us and sometimes that means a "job", sometimes it just means spending more time with adults...either way it will all change when the kids start school. Right now they need us so much...once school starts I feel like we'll be having this conversation again. Either way - you are working full-time at the hardest most rewarding job there is - being a MUM. Love ya.