Thursday 30 July 2009

The latest....


The past week or so has literally flown by, here is the latest with us:
*Last Thursday Calum and I fell down our front stairs. I was carrying Calum facing forward to the car to take Mark to the train station in the morning and missed the bottom two concrete steps, landing on my knees. Somehow Calum escaped with only a few little scrapes and bruises but the fall was still bad enough for us to both visit the A&E to get checked out and luckily all was fine. Things could have been a lot worse and this has served as an important reminder to take things a lot slower and not be in a rush all of the time.
*Calum weighed in at 15 lbs 7 oz on Tuesday (13 weeks + 3 days) and is getting bigger by the day. We might have found an answer to his fits of unpleasantness lately, acid reflux! We saw the doctor on Tuesday and she's got him on these new colic/gripe drops which don't seem to be doing a lot. Next step is Galvascon (the stuff adults use) which will be a pain as it's a powder that needs to be taken with each feed which will entail either a bottle of water pre-feed or lots of pumping!
*Our post natal group is still getting together for weekly coffees which seem to turn into 3 hour chat fests. I really look forward to seeing this new group of women and this week was especially rewarding as Calum has taken notice of the other babies and was smiling and chatting away. As one of the mums said, he likes to talk like his Mom!
*We've got 10 days until we leave for the Algarve in Portugal. YAY! The weather out there at the moment is hot and sunny which will be a welcome break from the less than ideal English summer we've been having. I'm already stressing about travelling with a 3 month old but am looking forward to new experiences with him and Mark and am crossing my fingers that I get to spend some time in the sun. With the whole Verghese family on holiday together, I'm sure we'll have loads of helping hands.
*I finally chopped my hair last week and am now sporting the Gwenyth cut and loving it. When you're carrying some extra baby weight still it's nice to be able to do something to help you look a little better and feel a touch more like your old self.
*On Monday I had my first post-baby massage and it was fantastic! I had been sending Mark to this really nice hotel spa at the One Aldwych in London and was lucky enough to find out that his regular masseuse does house calls. She told me I had to wait until 12-weeks post C-section and it was totally worth the wait. The past few weeks my back has been killing me lugging around my little chunk and this really helped!
*Calum is thisclose to rolling over, he's been arching his back and pushing lots with his feet so we're almost there. Let's hope this comes soon so he can give the back of his head a break, it's flat as a pancake!

That's about it for us right now. As the baby books say, this seems to be the golden age for babies and we are loving every minute of seeing Calum literally change in front of our eyes. Here are the latest pics:

Look at those lashes!

One of the best bits about baby boys-baby bums in jeans!

Calum and Mommy

The "Gwenyth"

4 comments:

Justin, Jessica, Tyson, Isaiah and now Izzy (Roy too!) said...

Love the hair Jen! So glad that you and Calum are okay after your fall. I bet you were a wreck after it happened...so scary.

Tara Holmes said...

You look really cute. I'm glad you were both okay from the fall, how scary! I can't believe you get to go to Portugal, I can't wait to see pictures. It will be amazing to just get away even if it is with a 3 month old. Hope Calum is feeling better today. Love you!

The Haigh's said...

Jen you look beautiful - love the new hairstyle.

Leah said...

I really love the haircut. My sister in law fell down the stairs with her daughter as well - must be really scary.