Wednesday 22 July 2009

Birthday weekend...


Last Friday I turned the big 2-9 which wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Friday afternoon Mark's Mum came over early so I could get ready for my dinner out with Mark. As soon as she arrived Calum threw a massive fit and for a brief moment I thought about cancelling but he soon calmed down and I headed up on the train to London. Amazing how relaxing the short train ride can be when you don't have to rush into work!

I met Mark and we took a black cab to Kennsington to one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants called the Boxwood Cafe. Mark and I had gone there before for our anniversary last year but since I was pregnant last time I didn't get to enjoy wine with my meal nor did I get to have the rare tuna that I was dying to try on the menu. Dinner was AMAZING-I had the most perfect baked scallops, followed by a tuna and cilantro salad and Mark and I shared fresh made donuts with "espresso ice" for desert. Mark's Mum had encouraged us to stay out and enjoy ourselves but by the time the meal was over all we both wanted to do was head home and see Calum so that's what we did-we were home by 10!

On Saturday night we had our friends the St. Martin's over for drinks which was really nice, we hadn't seen them since before Calum was born. Calum went down like clockwork so we were also able to have some adult time. Sunday afternoon we had dinner with Mark's family and they gave me my birthday gift, a Mulberry wallet to match my new purse. How spoiled am I?!

Calum has continued his streak of sleeping through the night (10.30 p.m.-7.30 a.m.). On the weekends when I don't have to wake him up to take Mark to work he seems to like to sleep until 8.30 a.m. or later which is great. On Monday Calum had his second round of shots and was a little trooper. Today we're back to the hospital where he was born for a general 3-mo follow up. I'm a little anxious about taking him there since there has been a massive break out of swine flu around here and I don't want to expose him, but I guess we will just have to get on with it.

Otherwise Calum has been keeping us very entertained with lots of smiles and even his first giggle. He loves to talk and just yesterday found particular enjoyment out of seeing me with and without my glasses-this brought on a fit of giggles. In the bath for the first time he's started kicking his feet and really enjoying it and we spend lots of our day playing games which is lots of fun but also tiring, too. Below are a few of the latest pics, thanks to all for the birthday wishes-my 30th will definitely have to be celebrated in Seattle! x


Calum playing in his crib

Michelle & Calum-he LOVED her!

Smiles!

5 comments:

Tara Holmes said...

I love the giggling going on! What games are you playing? You are such a cute mommy! I'm glad you had an amazing dinner out...you deserve it love!

Justin, Jessica, Tyson, Isaiah and now Izzy (Roy too!) said...

Happy birthday Jen! Sounds like the perfect weekend. You have such a cute little baby!

The Haigh's said...

I'm glad you had such a nice birthday. What other ways have you gotten Calum to laugh? I have only heard Westyn 'really' laugh once, the other times are like heavy breathing or fake coughs. I've been trying so hard...

thuriks said...

So glad you had a nice night out! Calum is so cute & we get to meet him soon. Next year you will def have to spend your BDay here with us! Love to you & HAPPY Birthday!

Keri said...

Happy Birthday to the best Mum ever! Loved the pictures - looks like a great weekend. I am so jealous of Calum's sleeping through the night - feels like we'll never get there!