Tuesday 14 July 2009

Ye Olde Fighting Cocks


On Sunday Mark and I took Calum up to St. Alban's, a cute little suburb north of London where Mark's younger sister Tracey lives. Mark's whole family went up there for the day since Tracey has lived there for almost a year now and we hadn't even been to see her flat. We walked from Tracey's through the cute stereotypical English town to what is claimed to be the oldest pub in England (it's even in the Guiness Book of World Records) called the Ye Olde Fighting Cocks (seriously!) of which the actual structure dates back to the 8th century and the pub itself dates back to the 11th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Fighting_Cocks)! We had a lovely lunch there and then walked through Verulamium Park which is 100 acres big to a place called the Waffle House where we had the best ever waffles with fresh strawberries (here in England waffles are only served as a dessert and never at breakfast, they think we're crazy for having sweets like waffles and pancakes for breakfast!). The weather was perfect and it was a great end to the weekend.

Since Friday night Calum has been sleeping in his crib in his own room and sleeping through the night every night (from 10.30-7.30 a.m.). This has been fantastic but we've traded a good night's sleep for some trying times during the day. For whatever reason Calum has really been out of sorts and not himself, spending most of the days since being unsettled and difficult to please. I try putting him on his playmat, putting him in his swing, putting him in his crib with his beloved mobile and while he will be happy for about 5 minutes he then starts crying and just can't seem to be happy. He's not smiling as much as he was and he's not talking as much either. Yesterday I felt as if our bond was gone, like I was looking at a stranger and Mark came home to me in tears feeling like I had failed as a Mom. As he's nearing 12 weeks this Friday I'm hoping it's his 3 mo growth spurt but am not entirely sure that's it. I've tried everything to cheer him up and even gave him Gripe Water (an old English medicine made up of dill oil which is meant to calm their little tummies) which didn't do much to help. Would love to hear if anyone has any similar experiences and if there is anything else I can do to get us out of this funk.

Hope the rest of the week gets better, we're off on Friday for my birthday dinner at Gordon Ramsay's Boxwood Cafe and I can't wait!


Mark and Calum in the park-Calum loves to be carried like this now and Mark and his brother carried him for most of our walk like this

Family photo in the park (with my new b-day present-a Mulberry bag from Mark!)

5 comments:

The Haigh's said...

Loved the pics so much! How fun that you went to that pub, was Calum allowed in??? I really think that Calum is going through exactly as you said - just a funk. Probably not much you can do, you just need to let it run it's course. Babies go through some strange fazes in the younger months, its just a part of them growing up and figuring out the world and their surroundings. You're a wonderful Mommy, and Calum is very lucky to have you & Mark. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will pass.
Happy Birthday on Friday!!!!!!!

Tara Holmes said...

He loves you and like you said it's probably a phase, a readjusting period. You're probably over thinking it too. That seems like a fun outing to the old pub and old England. I wish I was there to celebrate your big 29th with you!

Tara Holmes said...

Go Mark on your birthday gift...those bags are cute and fancy. I just looked them up since I'd never heard of Mulberry before, you are a true Brit.

thuriks said...

You have such a beautiful family. It looks like you guys had a wonderful weekend. I wish we could take our babies into bars here! Try not to beat yourself up to much over this stage with Calum. I don't know about you but I have always felt that once I feel like I am figuring the whole Mommy thing out one of the babies changes things up on me. There is no manual that comes with babies but there is one thing we can all count on...and that is that this too shall pass. I find at times I still have to remind myself of this! Being a Mom is the hardest job I have ever had but also the most important. Hang in there and before you know it you will be back in a groove. HAPPY Birthday on Friday. I hope to catch you!

Leah said...

I love the picture of the pub. It's so cute!

Sorry you're going through rough times. I can't offer advice, but I know your son loves you to pieces.

Happy Birthday!!!