Monday 24 November 2008

Brrr.... Snow!


London has been freezing lately (literally!); early Sunday morning I woke up to snow which was short-lived but pretty while it lasted. This will be my third winter in London and I think with that I've seen as many snows in that time. Snow in November is pretty early, bookmakers here have upped the odds of a white Christmas from 8/1 to 6/1, which seems like pretty good odds-if we miss it I will be pretty disappointed. Weather here in London is probably just a small step up from Seattle in terms of quality, we get slightly less rain but on the whole it's still pretty cloudy for more months than not and always seems to be around the 45-55 degree mark. On that note, I have already started counting down the days until we're in sunny Miami-29 and counting!
Other than the snow we had a pretty good weekend. On Saturday we looked at 3 houses, one of which we are really interested in: http://www.georgeproctor.co.uk/ViewProperty.aspx?adid=1355821. The house is great, about as close to an "American" house as you can find in London and within walking distance of the shops (for me) and the train station with links to London (for Mark). We're going to have a second viewing next weekend to have a better look.
We also went into a few baby shops (Mothercare and Mamas & Papas) to have a look at strollers (called "prams" in the UK) and cribs (called "cots" in the U.K.). Who knew how expensive this stuff was?! For the stroller and car seat we're looking at about £575 (about $865) and for the crib, changing table/chest of drawers and clothes cupboard we're looking at easily another £2k ($3000)!! Things here are so expensive, it's a shame there isn't an easy way to bring this stuff back from America. Mark has been quite cute about it, he's taken the philosophy that nothing is too good for our baby and that we should get the best we can get although I suspect that will change when we actually start buying things and it all starts adding up!
Tomorrow (Tuesday) is my first regular appointment with our local doctor (GP). I haven't actually seen a doctor since I first found out I was pregnant so it will be good to go in and see how I'm getting on, although I will also have my dreaded flu shot... Wish me luck!

7 comments:

The Haigh's said...

I love the house and the hard wood floors are beautiful.

thuriks said...

The house is beautiful, I hope you guys get it!! You are right it does look very American. The kitchen is to dye for! Sounds like you and Mark are jumping right in-to 'family life'. It has been the best thing to ever happen to both Jerame & I. I am so excited for you. Your bump is so cute too. You look SKINNY everywhere else...I hate you :-). I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Did Ashley talk to you yet about coming over to my house for lunch? One of these days we will catch eachother on the phone. Love You & your mini-me.

Anonymous said...

The house is gorgeous! You would make it perfect inside with your magic touch. You are the best at making things feel "homey." I was a training today and missed your call so I will try calling you early sometime tomorrow. Good luck at the doctor. Love you!

Leah said...

LOVE it Jen! If you get it, can we move in?

Keri said...

Hope your appointment went well today! The house is gorgeous - I love the deck and fireplace. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Love you.

Justin, Jessica, Tyson, Isaiah and now Izzy (Roy too!) said...

Love the house! It is so beautiful. What an exciting time in your life! Good luck at your appointment. I had my flu shot a couple of weeks ago...I was nervous to get it, but I feel fine! Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Are you having a baby shower?