Thursday 27 November 2008

16 Week GP Appointment

Well, I survived-I made it through my GP appointment on Tuesday with flying colors. The appointment started with the not so pleasurable event these days of getting on the scale. Never in my life have I ever weighed so much, and while I know it's healthy and to be expected I have to say it's frightening to see the numbers getting bigger and bigger. Luckily the doctor said I'm on track with how much I've gained and have nothing to worry about (I was especially concerned because I put on a whopping 3.5 lbs this week!). She then had me lay down to feel for the size of the uterus which is at a normal size for where we should be right now. It was a nice surprise when she listened for the heartbeat and I got to hear that reassuring sound that proves baby is still in there and doing okay. Thanks to all for the moral support with regards to getting my flu shot, compared to giving blood it was nothing and two days later I haven't had any flu-like side affects which is pretty lucky. Our next appointment will be Dec. 22nd when we get to have our 20 week scan and find out if we're having a boy or a girl.

Today is Thanksgiving and I must admit I'm feeling pretty homesick. This has always been one of my favourite holidays and provides lots of warm memories. It's such a strange feeling to "miss out" on holidays and to have a normal day when lots of your loved ones are celebrating-the only other time of the year I feel like this is 4th of July which is also another one of my favourite holidays. Whilst I can't replicate the fireworks and barbeque's of the 4th of July, there is nothing to prevent me from making Grandma's pumpkin pie (even if I'm the only one who eats it) and roasting a turkey (if I can manage to find one this far before Christmas) so Sunday we will be having my own version of Thanksgiving (minus the parade watching, American football games and sales to look forward to the next day). One of my Finnish friends told me that it's important to keep hold of the traditions of your own country and this will be my third year of having Thanksgiving in London. It's been fun to share the tradition with people who haven't celebrated before and it helps me feel connected to those back home. Last year we had a friends Thanksgiving where I managed to have far too many glasses of wine and champagne and had to put myself to bed before our guests left. Needless to say, this year will be a little different.

Anyway, I hope all of you enjoy your Thanksgiving and know that I'm thinking of you and am thankful to have each and everyone of you in my life.

No comments: