Thursday 20 November 2008

Aches, pains and conquering your fears



Week 15 going on 16 and I have my first pregnancy groan-aches and pains! For the past few days I've been getting really bad cramps and aches in my legs and my back hurts worse then it ever has before. I feel like I'm 28 going on 58! It's so bad that I've even asked for one of those foot rest stools at work to see if it will help and I'm literally rolling off the couch and out of bed!

This week I've also had to go on a wild goose chase to get a flu shot, something that is recommended for women who will be in their 2nd and 3rd trimesters during flu season (and also something I never thought I would be doing, usually I would be running the other way!). When I came to Seattle in February this year I got the worst flu of my life on the airplane and don't want a repeat over our precious few days in Seattle for Christmas nor in Miami on our last "couple" holiday-also in London you're surrounded by people on the bus and tube where germs run rampant. Despite this, in the U.K. flu shots are only available to those who are terminally ill or over 65! I've managed to convince my doctor to write a prescription though and will have the shot done at my first regular GP (general practitioner) appointment next Tuesday which will occur every 4 weeks starting from next week, my 16th week.

I have to say, I hate shots. I hate needles. I've had several episodes at the doctors office when giving blood where I've had ringing in my ears and almost passed out. I hate the hospital. The one time I had stitches at age 16 I cried my eyes out. For most of my life I've known that I wanted to have children but was scared to death at the idea of the actual childbirth. Even now I'm trying not to think too much about it and have passed over the later chapters in my What to Expect When You're Expecting book because I don't want to start worrying about it. However, in the last couple of months I've had to give blood loads of times and have done so without incident-in fact, it didn't even hurt and was over in a second each time. Hopefully when it comes time for my flu shot I can say the same!

I guess this is the first step to becoming a Mom, a new stage in growing up-learning to conquer your fears and be selfless for someone else. Sure, we've all done it for our boyfriends/husbands/friends/family but this new challenge is really putting your own fears to one side and focusing on the greater picture-your child.

Attached is a week 15 and three quarters photo-swear I'm getting bigger by the day! Have a great weekend x

4 comments:

The Haigh's said...

Are you sure you're not having twins?????? Did they only see one heartbeat? I cannot believe how much you are showing already but of course you look beautiful.

Leah said...

I am laughing because I'm the same way! I got a flu shot this year and I literally almost passed out. And my co-workers were dying because it was the smallest needle they have ever seen.

Its really SO much easier than getting your blood drawn. Trust me. I think the word "shot" just sounds worse.

Anonymous said...

You even have a booty!!! You look wonderful Jim! I think you're brave to track down shots, beg for them almost. Good luck with the stool, and I did picture you rolling off the couch.:) Can't wait to hear what you're having!!!!

Misty Carpinito said...

You look great! Love the belly bump! I just got my flu shot too and have had the worst fears of needles until this past year when I feel like every month I had to get poked with a needle. The flu shot is not so bad just makes your arm sore after so try the side you dont use as much. ;o) And, I totally understand the back thing! A back brace really helped me but I too seem to roll out of bed and off the couch! As the little boy in your family said, I am so glad I won't be "so fat after I have this baby!" as I can't take rolling around for the rest of my life.

P.S. I think you are having a boy...can't wait to find out!