Friday 13 February 2009

28 weeks and my brush with royalty....


On Wednesday I had my 28-week appointment with the midwife at the hospital and my first run-in with real life British royalty! The appointment was pretty routine, they checked glucose levels in my blood (but I didn't have to drink that sweet stuff), did some other blood tests, listened to baby's heart and then kindly informed me that I would have to have a shot right then and there! It took me weeks to prepare myself for my flu shot so needless to say I wasn't too happy hearing that not only would I have to have a shot at this appointment, but probably two or three more in the weeks leading up to and after the birth!

Apparently my blood type is O Negative which something like 7% of the world's population has so it's kind of rare. Because I've got RhD negative blood there is a chance that if my baby has a RhD positive blood type (which is more common then negative blood types), that my body could develop antibodies if our bloods mix (i.e. in birth) that would cause a miscarriage in my next pregnancy (someday we're going to have to try for a girl!). It's actually pretty amazing that they have figured all of this stuff out, apparently up until the 60s or 70s they still hadn't figured out that a simple round of shots could prevent these unnecessary miscarriages so we're pretty lucky even if we do have to get shots in our bums (which is where they kindly administered mine).

Baby brains and all I also learned that our EDD (estimated due date) is May 11th and not 13th! They way I've been feeling (huge, fat, massive, slow, uncomfortable...), this is news to my ears!

Whilst with the midwife she mentioned that the maternity wing was a buzz because Princess Anne was coming that day. Not knowing who Princess Anne was, I asked if she was a patient... I guess the reason the midwife looked at me strangely is because she's like 70 years old-she's the Queen's sister and obviously not having babies anymore! On my way out I just happened to cross paths with her as she was entering the wing... Shame it wasn't Prince Harry ;).

Have a great weekend and Happy Valentine's Day!

5 comments:

Leah said...

Good story, Jen! Oh, the fabulous lives of you Londoners...

thuriks said...

My blood type is also O negative. I feel for you, that shot hurt! Glad your doing well.

The Haigh's said...

I'm so sorry to hear you had to have a shot in the "bum" - I love that you said bum...

Have a great Valentine's Day!

Tara Holmes said...

I'm A Positive blood (like my grades...ha ha ha). No wonder we're such great buds, opposites attract. I am excited that it's all coming so quick and that you have your new place. Good luck moving, I'm sure the 3 suitcases you came over with have rapidly expanded and grown over the years. Can't WAIT to visit!!!!!!

Keri said...

How weird - I am also O negative blood type. That's kinda crazy that me, you and Katie all have such rare blood. I always thought it was only one shot that they give you - not several! That sucks but you're right...it's great that we live in a time where they know to administer the shots at all. Can't wait to see pictures of your new place in a few weeks!