Wednesday 28 March 2012

Nursery











As of a few weeks ago, this is where both babies finally call home (after Sienna making a delayed move due to her frequent night waking). Looking at these pictures, I can hardly remember what the room looked like when it was Calum's. When we found out we were having twins we went out and bought a matching cot (crib) to Calum's old one and after toying around with a grey and yellow combo, decided in the end to stick with grey and do pink and blue accents since the selection of baby bedding here is leaps and bounds behind what you guys have back home and all we could find that we liked was pink and blue. Otherwise we found some bird pieces-the two birds on the wardrobe, the pillow on the nursing chair and the knobs on the built in wardrobes (which we were going to paint but I keep telling Mark surely that pale wood will come back in one of these days and we might regret it...) and that was that.


The most meaningful piece in the room was sent to us by my Aunt Lorie and Uncle Ken this Christmas. It's the picture of the baby on the small table and the second I opened it, it took me back to my Grandma Britton's house, it hung in the room I slept in as a child and was bought for my Grandma by her mother when my Mom was born in the 1950s. My Mom was born premature like my babies and my great-grandmother told my Grandma she thought the baby looked like her when she was born. It was such a thoughtful gift and so special to have a piece of my history and my family here in our house which is so far from "home".


I was hesitant about the sheep skin rugs at first but they are nice to stand on when changing nappies (diapers) or when peaking in on the babies at night. Putting up the wall stickers will always be a nice memory for me, Mark and I cleverly waited until Calum went to sleep one hot night and I did my best to help waddling around with the step ladder and laying out what seemed like impossible patterns on the floor for Mark to put up as we talked about how different our lives would become when not one but two more babies entered them.


The quote on the wall (came out not so great in pictures), sums it up:

"Hearts entwined,

Twenty fingers, twenty toes....
Two sweet babies with cheeks of rose

Born on the same day, two gifts from above

Lives entwined, two babies to love."






1 comment:

thuriks said...

really cute! I cried a little reading the quote that you have on the walls...we had a similar one on the twins nursury walls. you are so blessed! love u.