Tuesday 20 October 2009

Seattle


After a two day journey home, Mark, Calum and I are back in London after a great two weeks away in Seattle and Montana. Every day was packed with things to do and visits with our friends and family, after so much attention and excitement I think Calum is going to find things pretty boring at home!

Last night as I lay awake at 4 a.m. praying for Calum to go back to sleep (the only down fall to our trip, he did amazing adjusting to the 8 hour time difference but I think he will find it hard to adjust his body clock back to London time), I thought about the things I missed about Seattle and came up with this list (in no particular order!):

Starbucks. Of course we have them here but not on every corner! The first night we were in Seattle we were woken up by Calum at 2.30 a.m. to start the day and it was great to be able to drive to a near by Starbucks DRIVE THRU (we definitely don't have those here!) and get a Pumpkin Spice latte at 3 in the morning. Yum.

The ocean. Okay, we have this here too (we are after all, living on an island!) but it just doesn't seem to be nearly as beautiful as the Puget Sound. Our first day in Seattle we met up with my Dad and visited the park he works at up on Camano Island and it was gorgeous. Calum loved it!
Me and my Dad at Camano
Mark, Calum and Grandpa

American football. I say American because here in the U.K. football is soccer and you musn't confuse the two! I got to take Mark to his first ever Seahawks game and I surprised myself at just how into the game I was getting which made me realise how much I missed the game. Mark got really into it, too-he's now an official Seahawks fan and will soon be a Coug fan too as I'm definitely going to take him back to Pullman someday to experience REAL football.
My friends. This goes without saying but it was just so great to see all of my friends again and pick up right where we left off. I got to celebrate Katie's 29th at the Barking Frog, have a play date at Ashley's house, an old time reunion dinner with Dett & Ash and a farewell get together at Katie & Jerame's. My friends are the best and I am so lucky to have them.

Dett, Ash and I
Katie's b-day at Barking Frog (Ash, Katie, me, Keri and Jeanne)

My family. It was a long time coming for Calum to meet Grandma and Grandpa and the Brittons and it was amazing to see them all together in one place. Wish we got to see them all more often but am looking forward to my Mom coming in a couple of months, hopefully seeing my Dad and Shakeh in the spring for their 20th anniversary and maybe even getting my Aunt and Uncle over, too!

With Grandma at Ken & Lorie's

Green Lake. After a week in Seattle I realised that Mark and I hadn't spent any time together just the two (plus Calum!) of us so we headed down to Green Lake for Spuds and a walk. It was a perfect Seattle fall day and we had the BEST lunch at Blue Water Bistro after. Yum. If I lived in Seattle I would be down here all the time!

Loving Calum's hat from Aunt Lorie & Uncle Ken! (Also notice how Seattle Mark turned towards the end of the trip, North Face jacket and all!)

Yes, Seattle-I'm going to miss you. But I promise never to go so long between visits again. See you soon x

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Great post Jen! Love all the pics especially Calum with the ducky. And I'm so glad Mark likes "american football". Can't wait to see you guys again. Time just continues to fly by.

Tara Holmes said...

Ah.....looks so fun! I am loving Calum's ride the duck picture and Mark's North Face jacket. I am so happy you got to have such a great time. I wish I was there too.