Monday 30 April 2012

Calum turns 3

So, April 24th has come and gone and my little boy is now 3. As the day approached I felt a little trepidation thinking about how fast he was growing up, but we had a great time celebrating at his party and on his actual birthday. In the days since his birthday I can't even tell you how many times I've thought to myself just how grown up he is; it's amazing how well he can communicate now, how independent he's become and how much more emotionally aware he is. I thought I would be sad to see another year go but I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of the little person he's becoming and hopefully saying goodbye to those tantrums (and eventually diapers at night, too!).

Calum and his friend Maggie celebrated together at a joint party at McDonald's. I can't remember ever attending a McDonald's party back home but they seem to be the done thing here and in the end it was the perfect choice as the kids seemed to have loads of fun and we didn't have to clean up after which was ideal since I was exhausted-even though it was only 2 hours there were something like 13 3 year olds and their parents there and it was manic. I suppose the fact that I baked and frosted 6 dozen cupcakes the night before didn't exactly help, either! 

On Calum's birthday we decided to leave the babies with a sitter and take Calum to a big theme park about an hour away called Chessington (I guess it's probably like a Knotts farm or similar). God, life is easy with one kid! Was so nice to only have the one little umbrella stroller (which now that Calum is 3 apparently he will no longer sit in) and to spend time just focusing on him and watching him take in all the rides, animals and the aquarium.

Happy birthday to my gorgeous boy!


 
Blowing out the candles on his special request strawberry cake

At Chessington where there was a Madagascar show (hence the boxes)
With Mark on the carousel (although he preferred the more scary rides, surprise, surprise!)

















2 comments:

Loosy said...

Happy Birthday Calum! Sounds like a perfect day!

thuriks said...

Happy Birthday sweet Calum. How is he already 3?! I totally agree one kid is a peice of cake seriously so easy. Its almost like having no kids (well, when you compare it to having 3). Sounds like such a perfect day. Age 3 most certainly has it's share of tantrums but I think they develop so much more independence that makes them more managable. I wish we were seeing you guys soon :(