Wednesday 25 May 2011

Venezia

The day after Calum's birthday my Mom and I took a short trip (2 nights, 3 days) to Venice. She's always wanted to go there and I figured if we didn't go now, I probably wouldn't have the chance to go without kids for a long time (can't really see Mark staying home alone with 3 babies for a weekend!). Was so nice to get away for a few days, this was actually the first time I have ever left Calum overnight although it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be knowing Mark was at home with him. It was also perfect timing in terms of my pregnacy, at 17 weeks I was able to walk around all day and master the hundreds of stairs you climb going over the canal bridges.

Loved Venice overall, it is exactly what you imagine it to be, however it was very touristy and kind of took away from the whole experience for me (there are only 60,000 residents but over 12 million tourists visit a year). I realise we were contributing to the tourism however I guess I just have fond memories of Ravello, etc. where you feel like you are the odd one out and loved just stumbling into an authentic Italian restaurant where no one spoke English or seeing the Italians in the squares living life as they do.

Instead we were walking around with packs of people speaking all sorts of different languages and most restaurants have picture menus and the menu is divided into sections based on the language you speak. The food also wasn't as good as other places I've been in Italy, apparently since the majority of clientele is not classified as potential repeat business, they don't feel the need to strive for as good of quality as you would hope. Everything was also super expensive-like 10 Euros for a cappuccino (that's about $14!).

But all of that said, the weather was amazing and it was nice for my Mom and I to spend a few days together just the two of us. I was also reminded how much I love Italy and can't wait to go back.... Someday!


Typical view down one of the many side canals
A church across from our hotel (called Santa Maria di Nazareth) on the Grand Canal which was built in 1705
View from the opposite side of the Grand Canal of our hotel, the Hotel Carlton-would definitely recommend

Inside St Mark's cathedral

3 comments:

The Haigh's said...

I want to go back to Ravello, like yesterday.

Stacie said...

How fun! I never made it to Venice :( You look adorable, by the way!!

Tara Holmes said...

Ah Ravello! I only wish that we could be there all together right now. Looks amazing. Thank you for your insight.