Thursday 7 January 2010

Sightseeing

Just before Christmas my Mom came to visit, her second time to see me since I moved to London in June 2006. The last time she came I was 3 mos pregnant so running around London (and Paris) was a bit exhausting and we probably didn't get to do as much as we wanted. This time things were different because we had Calum and no longer live in the middle of the city. Never the less, we saw a lot in time she was here and it was so nice to have her.

The first night my Mom was here we got snow, a pretty rare occurrence where we live. It was so pretty and really Christmas-y but didn't do us any favors in terms of being able to get out and about. The snow stayed for most of her visit and with the BA strike we weren't really sure if she would be able to make it home, but all worked out in the end. We spent a few days in London, going to Notting Hill/Portabello Road market, walking the Thames and having lunch at our favorite little place-Brown's on Shad Thames, seeing Buckingham Palace (a first for me!) in the FREEZING cold, shopping Harrod's and seeing the world famous Selfridge's Christmas windows, having dinner at one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants and spending a day in Canterbury where we saw the amazing Canterbury Cathderal.

Even after more then three and a half years of living here, I'm still amazed at all of the things there are still for me to see and do. There is so much history here that I don't think I will ever again be impressed with the history of things in America. The Canterbury Cathedral was founded in 602!

Before my Mom left (on the 23rd) we had our first Christmas where we were spoiled for presents. My Mom even managed to buy things Mark like which is next to impossible since he is notoriously hard to buy for! It was a great way to start the holiday and I'm really looking forward to Christmas in Seattle next year.

(My Mom wasn't included in the pics below by her request!).

London Bridge at night
View of the city from the Thames
Freezing at Notting Hill
Canterbury Cathedral
Inside the cathedral
Inside the cathedral, from 1679!

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a great visit! You guys saw and did lots of fun things despite the weather. I really hope to make it out there in May. Haven't been to Cantebury yet.

Tara Holmes said...

I so want to come sightsee with you in London town. At least sometime before you move back. I'm glad you and mom had fun!

thuriks said...

I'm so glad you had such a great time with your Mom. You live in such an amazing place to sightsee. I'm so glad I came to visit you before we had all the baby crazyness!!! Miss you & look forward to our next phone date!!!

Leah said...

Fun!! Canterbury was one of our favorite days out of the city. The cathedral was amazing, and the town is so cute!
I'm glad you had such a good time with your mom. Nothing like mother-daughter time : )