Sunday 24 January 2010

Bruiser


On Thursday Calum had his 8 month check up which was a little delayed due to all the snow we've been having lately (worst winter in decades, aren't I lucky?!). Before we went I was genuinely thinking that Calum had slimmed down a bit but it turns out I was wrong. Our little boy isn't so little! His stats are:

Weight: 25 lbs 8 oz (99th percentile)
Length: 73.5 cm (75th percentile)
Head circumference: 49.1 cm (99th percentile)

So as the nurse nicely put it, his weight and head size are proportionate with each other but his height isn't.... Basically, our kid is a touch taller than average (not sure how this happened!) but is overweight and has a massive head! Oh, and as if this wasn't enough we have been told that he is no longer to go in the Jumperoo (Mom's lifesaver and his favourite toy of all) because he's spent so much time in it that his calve muscles might not have formed right which is why he only stands on his tippy toes and not flat like he should be to help for walking later on. He might even need physio to fix the problem! Oh, and his hips might be out of line a bit as when he was laid on his tummy the rolls in his bum cheeks weren't symmetrical!

To cap off a great appointment Calum decided to bash his head on the nurses' desk causing her to run off for a cold compress, me to look like a bad Mom and Calum to get his first ever bruise smack dab in the middle of his forehead (as kind of seen in the photo above). Looks like our little boy is going to be quite the bruiser, literally!

Happy 9 mos today to my cheeky little monkey. To celebrate he kept us up from midnight until 3 a.m. last night. Like Daddy, he knows how to party like a rock star. Happy Sunday!

5 comments:

The Haigh's said...

Oh Geez Jen! Sounds like a rather stressful appointment. Did the nurse actually say that Calum is overweight or are these your words? How can a baby be overweight? I think he is just perfect and there's nothing wrong with a few rolls here and there. Once he starts crawling they will fall right off and you'll want your chubby boy back. Love the picture of him but I don't see the bruise. He looks so much like..

The Haigh's said...

you. Sorry somehow forgot the last word. Maybe I'm losing it.

Tara Holmes said...

OMG! Harsh! Really the nurse seems like a bit of a witch to me. He seems like a perfect baby, what are you going to do---put him and his head on a diet. And I have never heard of such a thing as outlawing the jumperoo. She probably hates her life and is taking it out on you. No need to worry. I'm sure if you saw someone else they would not say the same thing. Ug. I bet you were stressing and you can't even see the bruise. I wonder what they'd say about my little sumo wrestler over there. Calum is perfect!

p.s. I wonder if the rolls in my butt cheeks are symmetrical??//

Blyth Family Blog said...

HA! I love this story, don't worry, that's the first bruise of MANY I'm afraid, boys!
Too funny that our guys are so different in size...except heads of course. At least Calum's head is properly proportioned to his body!! ha. Love it. He's such a cutie!!

Keri said...

Poor baby! (I mean you) What a nightmare. At least Calum's head is proportionate to his body...poor Kena-bear has a tiny head and a huge body (99th for height, 75th for weight, 35th for head). Honestly, we (parents) probably put way too much pressure on ourselves (and our babies) for meeting up to certain "percentiles". One day, when Calum is running for President (oops, I mean Prime Minister) we will all laugh about how we worried that his butt cheeks were not symmetrical. Love you....and p.s. you're a fabulous mummy!