Monday 20 April 2009

Full term!

Today marks our 37th week and I couldn't be more ready for this baby. It's such a relief to know we've made it this far and very exciting knowing how close we are to getting to meet our baby. On Saturday Mark and I went up to London for our antenatal class which was great, we both learned a lot and were able to walk away with a birth plan and a much better idea of how things will go. We've definitely decided to have the baby at our local hospital rather then going up to the London hospital. In thinking about it, if I have to stay over night I would hate to know Mark was so far away and I was all by myself up in London. Also, it's pretty typical to go to the hospital and be sent back home if you aren't dilated enough or far enough along in the birth process and it just wouldn't be great to do the hour-plus drive up to London only to be sent home!

Mark & I have also decided as part of our birth plan that we're going to give the pool a try for the labouring process and pending how it goes, possibly for the birth. After watching about a million episodes of a Baby Story in college I would have never in a million years thought I would go that route, but in understanding some of the benefits I think it's worth a try and our local hospital offers a pool so I can use that whilst in the hospital. Mark of course WILL NOT be coming in the pool with me! I'm also only going to go for an epidural as a very last resort and am going to try using gas and air and see how I get on. I know it's pretty likely that the pain will be bad enough for me to request the epidural but with my fear of needles, knowing I would have to have a catheter (standard procedure here) and a few other drawbacks have lead me to really look beyond this option as much as possible.

Yesterday was my breast feeding class which was also great, really helped to go and learn about proper attachment and etc. and with all of this new education I really feel much less worried about not being prepared and even more ready for labor and to not be pregnant anymore! Having been off the past week has made life a lot more bearable but facing another week on my own at home has left me wondering what to do with myself and I'm eager to speed things along! Fingers crossed and watch this space-everyone here seems to think I'm going to be early based on how massive I am although I have a feeling we're going to be looking at his due date (May 11th) or longer....

3 comments:

Tara Holmes said...

I can't believe it's so close!!!! I'll be in Pullman at Shelby's graduation when you're delivering probably. I am also amazed you're going to try the pool, but then again you did love our swimming class freshman year so....

I love you! Can't wait to meet Calum and more for you to be more comfortable and a mommy.

thuriks said...

Good job for carrying to full term! You should be a proud Mommy. Your plan sounds wonderful...lets hope all goes as you have imagined it go. I can't believe you are so close. Believe it or not you will soon forget how uncomfortable you are now. Hope to catch up soon, what is a good time to call?

Misty Carpinito said...

My sister did a water birth with her second baby (and no drugs) and I was able to be there for it. Absolutely incredible! Good luck with everything and enjoy these last few weeks with just your hubby. Try to do a couple things you wont be able to do for awhile after baby comes...you wont regret it! XX