Sunday 21 February 2010

My first shoes


Yesterday Calum reached two new milestones; he got his first pair of "real" shoes and a new car seat that faces forward. To anyone who doesn't have kids, this probably doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but to a Mom with her first child these steps are further steps away from your child being a baby and becoming a toddler.

We got Calum's shoes from a store called Clarks. Whilst they aren't nearly as cute as the Nikes we got him in Seattle or the Converse my Aunt & Uncle got him before he was born, they are special shoes designed for walking and crawling which in the first day seemed to have already helped him stand more flat rather than on his toes. As part of the first shoes purchase, the people at the store measure the babies' foot and take a picture of him in his new shoes which is entered in a drawing to win £300 worth of kids shoes (which is probably only a fraction of what we will spend eventually!).

I'm pretty excited about the car seat, we don't pick it up until Thursday, but it's going to be so great to be able to see what he is doing now. On Friday I drove into Southwest London to meet a friend for lunch and on the hour or so drive it was impossible to know if he had slept or not. I also think he's going to love being able to see things from a different perspective. Eventually he will also be able to take advantage of watching t.v., Mark was so insistent about buying a car with those t.v. screens in the back and we have only ever used them once in the two years we have had the car!

Today I am off to a Baby Show with Mark's sister Tracey who is due in June, should be fun. Last Tuesday we officially exchanged on our new house which means it's almost as good as ours! We don't move until May 28th, but with all we need to do and buy between now and then, I think that's actually going to be just right. Last Saturday my Grandpa Britton passed away, this week is his funeral in Polson, MT. I am really sad I can't make it but am so glad that Mark and I made the visit out there in October to see him. He was a big part of my life when I was younger and is probably very happy now that he is with my Grandma again and able to play golf. Life is precious and far too short, so enjoy it. Have a great week x

4 comments:

Leah said...

I'm really glad you got to make that trip to visit your Grandpa. It's so wonderful that he was able to meet Calum.
Love the pic of his shoes - he'll be walking in no time!
Miss you!!

The Haigh's said...

I'm sure your grandpa is happy as can be having the best game of his life. Calum is looking more and more like a little toddler, we sure miss you over here.

thuriks said...

Jen, so sorry about your Grandpa. Calum will be a year old so soon. It's crazy he is turning into a little toddler. You will love when he faces forward, although it is a bit distracting because you will find yourself wanting to watch what he is doing more than the road. You are such a wonderful mommy. I wish you lived closer so we could know more about your day-to-day but I guess the blog will have to do for now :-). Excited to see pictures of the house. Lets try to plan a phone date soon. You are entering such a fun stage with Calum. I LOVE toddlers, they are so fun.
xoxox

Tara Holmes said...

Sorry about Grandpa. :( I love the new shoes and Calum should totally win!!!! I think the car seat is a huge deal. :)